I’ve been off blog for a what are becoming the “normal” reasons…too much travel, too little time to read, too tired and overwhelmed to write. I know, I know. I asked for this. And I’m still struggling with the conversation in general.
Recently, in the middle of a presentation to about 500 teachers, one woman raised her hand and said something along the lines of “Look, I’m not the most technologically savvy, but I have to tell you that in a lot of ways I think all this technology is the devil. I mean my kids plagiarize stuff left and right, they don’t learn how to spell because of spell check, and I just think we’d be better off without it.” And a number of people applauded.
And also recently, after finishing with another group of school leaders who I had been working with over the last eight months, I was surprised to learn that many of them had begun deleting their blog posts and blogs citing fears that they would somehow come back to haunt them. And so much of our conversations focused on all of the reasons why we can’t make change in our schools. The “yeah, buts” once again.
I’ve been out on my own for almost a year now, doing presentations and workshops almost non-stop, and while there are many, many teachers out there who communicate a real interest in re-envisioning their practice, on the whole, there’s little I’m seeing that suggests that any real systemic change or rethinking of the education model is occurring. We are just so stuck in the system of control. We are so stuck in keeping our kids dependent on us to learn, taking little or no advantage of the freedoms that are available to us these days. And if you believe this article in Time Business, the constructivist, connectivist reach of these tools to date has been pretty unimpressive anyway.
Far less than 1% of visits to most sites that thrive on user-created materials are attributable as participatory, the remaining 99% are passive visits.
And so I’m still trying to figure out where the best spend of my time and energy is in terms of helping to bring real change into the conversation. Suggestions welcomed. ;0)
In the meantime, don’t be surprised if it remains a little quieter around here than usual in the short term. Link blogging, yes…deep thinking…we’ll see.