There is a convergance happening in my brain (a scary thought to begin with) with this whole RSS piece and the other nascent multimedia Web log work we’ve been engaging in lately. Pam‘s been audioblogging, and today Tim includes a video clip into his post. in Jenny‘s “Aggregating Your Life Into One Page” post yesterday, one of the comments she got was from Ryan Greene who said
Jenny – You forgot getting feeds from your favorite bands as to their new releases and remixes, new episodes of video and audio blogs, including the kid’s school reports. I mean, why not teach your kids how to do multimedia blogging if the tech is there, and they have an interest in learning to use it?
This morning, George is writing about meeting the needs of different types of learners, and he says
Text, interactive activities, video clips, Flash presentations, audio, discussion threads, chat sessions, synchronous presentations, reflective journals (or blogging), self-test activities, group presentations, etc…if these (and other components) are used throughout course development (within reason…and for a reason) and instruction – learners will learn.
Then, Marc Canter, in an interview on the Corante site, says
5% of the populace (probably even less) can create. The others watch, listen, read, consume. I think one of the destinies of digital technology is to enable the other 95% to express their creativity somehow. That’s the gestalt view. Digital cameras, story telling, assembling stuff from existing content, annotating, reviews, conversations, linking topics together – are all forms of creativity. That’s what our tools are all about. There’s plenty of image, audio and video editing software out there. Now is the time to integrate and aggregate media, communications and personal publishing.
I always love when things just seem to connect like that, and one of the best things about Web logs is the ability to bring that connection into formal existence and to think more deeply about it in writing. (I need to ask my students to do more of this.)
I still haven’t digested the implications of all of this, and I think someday it’s going to be interesting (to me at least) to look back on these posts and watch the evolution of this still fuzzy picture into reality. How cool is that going to be?